Thursday, January 27, 2011

Baking Bread

Making bread from scratch is something I have wanted to do for a very long time.  I recently found a wonderful website that is dedicated to teaching young girls to become successful homemakers.  One of the lessons on the site was bread making.  And, since my littles are finally feeling better from their sicknesses, I thought this snowy day was as good as any for us to try it.  :o)

H probably had the most fun.  For a girl who loves being clean, she sure did love getting messy!  :o)




Kneading their own dough balls.  Notice little H with her face covered in flour.  :o)



All done rolling and shaping.  Now, for the baking!  :o)


Both loaves cooling.  We are so anxious to see how they taste!

The girls decided to baste their loaf with milk first.  It gave it a very nice color.  And very moist!
 



B chose to leave his loaf just the way the recipe called for.  The crust didn't turn out as golden as the girls' did, but it was still very moist and delicious.



The best part was getting to eat our tasty creations!  :o)



We had a really fun time together. Sure, it made a terrible mess in my freshly cleaned kitchen. But, the memories we made, and those flour-covered smiles are better than the cleanest kitchen in the world.  We will definitely be experimenting with more bread recipes very soon!  :o)

4 comments:

Wilson News said...

YUM! I can smell the aroma from here! Great job! I miss my grandchildren! I wish I were there!!! The pictures say 1000 words! :)

Lisa said...

Great Post. I'm also learning how to make bread. This is something I've always wanted to do but never learned.

Tracey said...

What a wonderful homemaking "lesson!" I only recently began making my own bread and really enjoy the process. My eight-year-old loves to knead the dough - and I appreciate the help!

Hope you have a nice day!

Cheryl @ On the Old Path said...

I found your lovely blog at Raising Homemakers. I have been having some fun getting to know your beautiful family, your daughters reaction to her violin was priceless!! I hope your H was able to have a good birthday once she was feeling better!!
Blessings to you all!!